Thursday, July 12, 2007

Living in Coal Country

I have always been skeptical of people that complained about big business treating them unfairly. I'd watch a show like 60 Minutes or 20/20 and see some guy or gal going on and on about how this or that company had come in and just destroyed their lives. And I would think, "Waa Wah Waa!!! Quit your whining and just move." I guess I was thinking that they were just overly dramatizing the situation to get something for nothing. Over the past 4 years, my lack of sympathy has resulted in a swift kick by "just desserts."
Living within 1/8 mile of a coal mine and having at least 10 mines (deep and surface) within a 5 mile radius of my home, I am now well aware of the hardships associated with living in coal country. In Eastern Kentucky, coal is not only the primary revenue generator for the area, it essentially is what almost all other revenue sources are dependent upon. Because of this, the people of Eastern Kentucky are expected to endure whatever the coal companies dish out.

My personal experiences have included the following in just the past 4 years:
*loss of 4 water wells,
*loss of water usage for a day or more on no less than 40 occasions,
*dirty water greater than 20% of time, filthy water greater than 5% of time,
*the effects of dirty water on brand new appliances and fixtures,
*the smell of Methane gas in our water,
*excessive mud on road,
*coal dust on my house, porch, porch furniture, yard and on my kids (because of it being on the afore mentioned),
*loss of use of our vegetable garden due to dust,
*noise from the mine fan 24-7 for nearly 365 days per year,
*noise from the machinery often beyond dark (at times beyond midnite and beginning again in before 6am),
*blasts (although speaking with a mine inspector revealed that "That mine doesn't blast. They don't have a permit to do so."),
*dealing with coal trucks
-noise, dust, mud, excessive speeds on one lane roads, discourteousness, overloaded, wear and tear on roads

So, my education has been extensive, expensive and exasperating at times. I hope to stop learning soon.
The small man has no recourse. What government official would possibly stick his neck out to help you by opposing the hand that is feeding him? None that is going to stick around for long. The only voice that we have is involvement with a group such as KFTC (Kentuckians for the Commonwealth). My brother-in-law Rick Handshoe introduced me to the organization, and I thought it would be worthwhile to introduce you to the organization as well.

No comments: